I know a lot of people who are firm believers in the philosophy that we should always put others’ needs before our own. If we don’t, we are being selfish!
If we think about ourselves and our own needs, who is taking care of the kids!?
When would I possibly find time to do something for me anyway?
I don’t even know what I would do if I had free time!
I’m serious. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing something for you once in a while. In fact, you should really do something for you every day.
I know it’s hard. I know it means you might have to get up earlier or let the kids watch a little TV to make it happen, but I promise it’s worth it.
You’ll be happier, calmer, more energetic, more confident, and you’ll actually be able to get more done. It’s crazy, but it’s true!
I had a meltdown this morning. Tears flowed as I acknowledged how overwhelmed I have been feeling the last few days, and I realized somewhere during the last few weeks I had stopped taking those breaks I need. I had let my guard down and the negativity was squirming its way in.
So I sat down and made a list of things I enjoy when I need a minute to myself.
Here are some ideas you can use if you don’t already have something in mind, and a lot of them can be done in just a few minutes!
- Take a bath.
- Read a novel or personal development book.
- Watch a movie or TV show. (Honestly, I usually fold laundry while I do this one, but it’s still sort of relaxing.)
- Read a magazine.
- Listen to music. Sing along or dance.
- Write in a journal or list things you are thankful for
- Pray or meditate
- Do yoga
- Go for a walk
- Unplug- turn off your phone and stay off social media for a while.
- Take a nap.
- Dress up. Put on makeup. Even if you’re not leaving the house.
- Drink a glass of water (or something else you enjoy).
- Clean/de-clutter for 10 minutes
- Give yourself a facial or use a face mask
- Paint your nails.
- Listen to an uplifting podcast.
- Bake. Then share with a neighbor.
- Chat with a friend, meet up for lunch, or at the park.
- Be creative- write, draw, paint, refurbish something.
- Get a massage, manicure, pedicure, or haircut.
- Buy yourself flowers.
- Rearrange a room.
- Make a schedule or plan for a goal you have.
- Light a candle or scent warmer
- Have a snack.
What are some things you would add to this list?
How do you find time for you?